September 25, 2011

Tulip Painting: A Transformation

Despite having a brain which is foggy with a cold, I decided to paint today.  In August I posted a photo of a tulip painting that was in progress.

Today, I took a deep breath and might have even made a little internal scream as I went much darker with my background (the photo above shows half of the initial dark wash). The darker background gave me the incentive to go back into the flower and add more detail and darken the shadows.

I have to admit that I was inspired by the gorgeous night bird painting posted by Geninne this weekend with its inky black background.  I used Winsor & Newton's 'neutral tint' with some 'winsor violet and 'perylene maroon'.  I didn't go absolutely black as I wanted some of the colours of my previous washes to show.

Here's the final outcome.  I am much happier with it now.  White flowers can be very tricky to paint but I now feel that there is depth to my flower that was missing before.


*  *  *  *  *

Holy moly, me oh my...I am almost up to 1,000 page views of my blog as I write this. How incredibly exciting. Thank you to everyone who comes and visits my pages. Your presence is so very appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen,
    thanks for dropping by and commenting on my blog. it was lovely to meet you at Puces Pop. hope you had a good time there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara--Your art is beautiful. The show was wonderful--so young, vibrant and crowded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this one - what about digital printing on fabric? hmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arounna--Thanks for your lovely comment. Digital printing on fabric? Gosh that sounds intriguing. I would need to learn how to do that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)