October 18, 2011

Maple Leaves

It just wouldn't be Canadian of me to ignore maple leaves as part of my autumn leaf series. (For those of you who don't know, the maple leaf is Canada's national symbol and appears on our flag.)

I had to go outside of my yard to find maple leaves.  Our garden is too narrow for a tree of that size.  Maple trees at maturity can range from 30 to 145 feet in height! On my walk with Meeko yesterday, I picked up several maple leaves of different colours.  I think that one of the most distinctive and beautiful aspects of maples trees is that their autumn display can include an array of colours:  red, orange, yellow and green.  Even one leaf can contain more than one colour.  I really enjoyed painting these leaves and I don't think you need to be Canadian to appreciate their beauty (plus they do grow elsewhere!). Maple trees can also be appreciated by anyone with a sweet tooth as they are the source of, what else could it be, maple syrup!

There is even a national song (although not our anthem) celebrating the maple leaf. The lyrics have been modernized over time.  Here is an excerpt from the most recent version which has been sung by both Anne Murray and Michael BublĂ© at public events:

O, land of blue unending skies,
Mountains strong and sparkling snow,
A scent of freedom in the wind,
O'er the emerald fields below.
To thee we brought our hopes, our dreams,
For thee we stand together,
Our land of peace, where proudly flies,
The Maple Leaf forever.
Chorus:
Long may it wave, and grace our own,
Blue skies and stormy weather,
Within my heart, above my home,
The Maple Leaf forever!
O, Maple Leaf around the world,
You speak as you rise high above,
Of courage, peace and quiet strength,
Of the Canada that I love.

File:Maple Leaf Forever.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Born and raised in Canada and that is the first thing I thought of when I saw the painting - even though we left when I was 15. It's been --- a while since then ;-) Always have maples in our yards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your water colour turned out beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  3. froggy--we seem to have a lot of common ground. :)

    barbara--thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful painting!

    Maples are one of my faveourite trees, but boy can they grow BIG! We had a very similiar tree called a Liquid Amber growing in our front yard, which ended up growing all over the neighbours yard, the street, the power lines etc etc. Much easier to manage the entire forest of Maples we once had - they were bonsai, but none less beautiful in Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes- my profile changes depending on which computer I'm on...the older 'puter is my Artoholic side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your painted leaves are just so perfect

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment. I love reading them. -- Kathleen

(Please note that comments with links to ads or commercial websites will be deleted.)

BROWSE MY BLOG BY THEME

autumn (26) backyard (19) birds (17) creativity (7) family (37) flowers (32) friends (13) garden (72) gardening (7) hope (8) leaves (17) Meeko (95) nature photography (14) original watercolor (9) painting (55) paintings (34) print (12) rain (16) soft-coated Wheaten terrier (28) spring (28) studio (13) summer (12) watercolor (102) watercolour (98) winter (19)